As the world becomes increasingly digital, local businesses need to adapt their advertising strategies to stay relevant and competitive. One way to do this is by utilising Google Ads for local search.
Google Ads allows local business owners to create highly targeted ads that show up when customers search for specific terms related to their businesses. This is an effective way to capture the attention of local shoppers who are already in the market for what the business offers.
In this article, we’ll look at how local businesses can use Google Ads to boost their visibility and customer base.
How do Google local search ads work?
Google local search ads work by targeting users who are searching for local businesses on Google.
When a user searches for a business, product or service on Google, they will see a list of search results with ads at the top and bottom of the page.
Local search ads appear at the top of the search results, and an “Ad” label to indicate that it is a paid ad. Here’s an example of what a local search ad looks like:
Local businesses can use this to their advantage by creating ads that are tailored specifically to their markets. They can target users who are searching for relevant terms in their area and make sure the ads they create are attractive and informative enough to capture those searchers’ attention.
Use Local-Friendly Ad Extensions
To improve the effectiveness of your local search ads, you can utilise ad extensions that provide extra information such as your business hours, phone number, address, and customer ratings. These local-friendly extensions help to increase the visibility and accessibility of your ad to local searchers.
In addition to the standard text, image, and video ads that are available through Google Ads, you can also create local search ad extensions such as location extensions. These allow you to include your business’s address in the ad so customers can easily find it on a map.
You can also add call extensions which will allow customers to call your business directly from the search results page and review extensions which show customer ratings so potential customers can see what other people think about your business.
Target Local Keywords and Firm Locations
Another way to make your local search ads more effective is by targeting local keywords and firm locations.
Use Local Keywords
When targeting local keywords, use terms that people in your area are likely to search when looking for businesses like yours. For example, if you have a coffee shop in Melbourne you would want to target keywords such as “coffee shops near me” or “best coffee shops in Melbourne”. This will help ensure that your ad shows up when people in your area are looking for businesses like yours.
Use Firm Locations
Google Ads also allows you to target users based on their location. You can choose specific cities, states, or even countries where you want your ads to appear. This is especially useful if you have multiple branches of your business across different cities or states.
Target specific locations, such as cities, neighbourhoods, or postcodes, to ensure that your ad is being shown to users who are most likely to visit your business.
You can also use this feature to block ads from appearing in areas where you don’t want them to be seen.
By using ad extensions, keyword targeting and firm locations, businesses can ensure that their ads are seen by the people who are most likely to be interested in what they offer.
Run “Local Search Ads” and Use Bid Modifiers
If you want to take your local search ads to the next level, you can run “Local Search Ads” and use bid modifiers.
Local search ads with bid modifiers can be a great way for local businesses to boost their visibility and customer base. Bid modifiers allow businesses to customise their bids for certain types of searches, allowing them to focus their ad budget on the audiences that are most likely to convert.
When creating a local search ad campaign, businesses should first consider the location of their target audience, and then use bid modifiers to target those locations more effectively.
By taking advantage of local search ads and using bid modifiers, businesses can ensure that their ads are seen by the people who are most likely to be interested in what they offer. This will help them get the most out of their ad budget and drive more local customers to their business.
Local search ads can be a great way for businesses to reach out to local customers and build a strong presence in their community. With the right strategies, they can help businesses increase visibility and grow their customer base.
Different Stages of the Search Buying Funnel
It’s important to understand the different stages of the search buying funnel when creating local search ads.
The search buying funnel consists of three stages:
1. Awareness: getting potential customers to become aware of your business and what you have to offer.
2. Consideration: helping potential customers make an informed decision about whether or not to buy from your business. They are actively researching your business and comparing it to others.
3. Conversion: your potential customer is now ready to make a purchase or take a specific action such as scheduling a demo, signing up for free a trial or buying your product.
At each stage of the funnel, it’s important businesses should use different types of local search ad strategies to reach their target audience and convert them into customers.
7 Advantages of Google Local Search Ads
Google Local Search Ads offer a variety of advantages for businesses that are looking to reach local customers. Let’s look a the top seven advantages we love at Owendenny:
1. Increased visibility: By running local search ads, you can increase your visibility and reach a wider audience.
2. Better targeting: Local search ads allow you to target users based on their location, search history, and other factors, which can improve the relevance of your ads and increase the likelihood of conversion.
3. Cost-effective: Local search ads are cost-effective, as you only pay when someone clicks on your ad.
4. Increased foot traffic: By targeting users who are searching for businesses in your area, you can increase foot traffic to your physical location.
5. Improved customer experience: By providing additional information, such as your business hours and customer ratings, you can improve the customer experience and increase the likelihood of repeat business.
6. Competitive advantage: By running local search ads, you can gain a competitive advantage over other local businesses that are not utilising this advertising strategy.
7. Measurable results: Local search ads offer measurable results, allowing you to track the performance of your campaigns and adjust them accordingly.
Google Ads for local businesses can be a highly effective way to reach your target audience and increase foot traffic to your physical location. By using local-friendly ad extensions, targeting local keywords and firm locations, and running “Local Search Ads” with bid modifiers, you can take your local search ads to the next level.
It’s also important to consider the different stages of the search buying funnel and to take advantage of the seven advantages that Google local search ads offer, including increased visibility, better targeting, cost-effectiveness, increased foot traffic, improved customer experience, competitive advantage, and measurable results. By implementing these strategies local businesses can stay relevant and competitive in an increasingly digital world.